Saturday, April 08, 2006

Atlanta day two


I woke up to a rainstorm, grateful for the fact that I have a tent covering my sandbox. It was a cold, wet morning but shoveling sand will get you warmed up quick. Since the sand is piled next to the sandbox, I essentially have to shovel it all twice - once into the wheelbarrow and then into the forms. Autumn took the day off but luckily Don the helpful security guy grabbed a shovel and moved a heck of a lot of sand for me. I have met so many kind and helpful people here in the city!

Thanks to Don, I was carving shortly after noon. I took a brief break around 1:30 and did a bit of quick shopping: I had left the cable for recharging my iPod at home but lucky for me there is an Apple store right here in the mall -- and man was the place jumping. I was able to get the cable and picked up a new set of earphones while I was at it. They sound really good, even after I managed to dunk one earbud in the clay mix bucket about half an hour after I had purchased them.

My first full day on the sandpile is over and I am tired and sore all over -- but feeling good about what has been accomplished. It is difficult to keep a consistent level of clay mixed in with the sand and you can really tell where things didn't get mixed in enough - the color is different yes but also a lot softer and those areas are certain to dry out more quickly. By late afternoon the clouds had moved along and the wind picked up.I did lots of light coats of glue spray on the carved areas before leaving... Sure hope everything is still standing tomorrow.


Blogger nancy said...

I love reading your traveblog so please keep writing!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Pound-Up Sammy Sez:

You must be tired but you rock, lady! Keep up the updates ... will be thinking of y'all at the Wanna tonite with the Bongo Puppies. Oops, I'd better get my butt in gear ... later.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey feet! we miss ya here in port 'a'
may your sand stand!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home